Monday, October 25, 2010

As far as recognizing the Spirit...don't worry about it, just be good.

To my dear family and friends,

Here in Russia, things are going great. I finally transferred all my stuff to my new area and Sister Tsuprova and I will be working together in our area for at least two weeks (hopefully until at least the end of transfer). Sister Karpeshenko is now with a mini-missionary. Lena (recent convert in the branch) just got fired from her job and now has time and the desire to be companions with Sister Karpeshenko. Lena is working on her mission papers right now, so it is great practice and experience for her. This means, for the time being, I am no longer in a three-some and no longer working in two areas. Sister Tsuprova had a VISA trip (just needed a new migration card) to Ukraine and I got to accompany her. Sadly, we missed our connecting flight from Moscow to Ukraine and didn't get to go to the temple. I was so looking forward to that. But, looking on the bright side, I had a lot of time to write in my journal, and then we were on the same flight as President and Sister Pratt (the mission president of Vladi-Vostok Russia mission) who were on their way to Kiev for a mission President Seminar. It was good to talk to them. We then were on the same flight back to Moscow with Brother Oleg, who is in charge of all of the transportation of missionaries, and it was also a blessing to talk to him. I'm trying really hard to stay positive, and hopefully that positive attitude will then rub off on my companion a little. :)

Djenya is no longer my investigator, but he is still planning on being baptized on the 30th. I am sooo happy for him! Our investigator Maksim also has a baptism scheduled for the 30th. He has already been taught all of the lessons and yesterday, he informed us that he received his answer and he feels ready for baptism. He is 19 years old, and is going to be an incredible Priesthood holder. He wants to invite his family to his baptism, so hopefully they will come to support him. I am truly excited for him. Now that he feels he has received an answer and has a testimony, he is all full of smiles and is now really looking forward to his baptism.

The other day, we were sitting in a lesson with Maksim (this was before he received his answer) and he asked a question that arose while he was reading the night before. It was regarding being together with our families forever. We answered his question and tried to encourage him to continue to pray for his family that they too will accept the gospel. Then, we began talking about baptisms for the dead and I testified to him that if he continues on the path that Christ has shown, he will one day be able to do temple work for his great-grandfather and rejoice with him in the Celestial Kingdom.

Maksim smiled big and we continued on with the lesson. After we had finished the lesson, and were stacking up the chairs, he asked me why I specifically mentioned his great-grandfather. Then he continued on to say that the night before, as he was pondering the concept of eternal families and the Celestial kingdom, he had doubts about whether or not he really wanted to end up there. It's a long hard road, and he didn't have faith that his family would make the trip with him. Then, he thought about his great-grandfather and he remembered the special relationship that he had had when he was little and he said that that thought quieted all of his fears and he was filled with the desire to one day live with God and his family forever. Sometimes I wonder if I am always teaching with the Spirit, and often I wonder if I really know how to rely on the Spirit, but then the Lord answers my prayers and I am able to help resolve the concerns of my investigators by speaking the words that the Lord puts into my mouth. I know that this truly is the work of the Lord. How was I to know that Maksim wanted to spend forever with his great-grandfather? The Lord can work marvelous wonders among us. We just have to let Him.

I am trying really hard to be exactly obedient, so that I can be a good example to my companion. I love my companion. She is helping me with my Russian and has a love for our investigators and our little branch. Her health hasn't been the greatest, but she has expressed a desire to accomplish all of our goals this week, so hopefully her health won't get in the way of that. I have already learned much this transfer and I am excited for what the future holds here in this new area.

xoxoxoxoxo
love always,
Sister Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment