Hey!
(that's how the Finnish say hello...it's sounds so casual - love it!)
So, I've been in Finland for the past few days, and it really is a magical land. The people here are beautiful and the language sounds like a mixture of Chinese, Russian, backwards English, and African click, with a bunch of marbles in your mouth, while singing. It's incredible. The temple here is absolutely gorgeous. It has the prettiest dark wood inside and one of the prettiest murals I have ever seen. There were so many people from different countries here, and I was amazed at all of the different languages...the church really is true. Everyone gets to hear the gospel in their own tongue. I wish I knew Chinese for our Chinese investigator. I don't remember if I told you very much about him. His name is Lung-Jee Ew. (in Russian we just call him Y - pronounced ew). He is from China and is working at a market place in Chely. He has the book of mormon in
Chinese and he loves it. He has been taught all of the lessons and if everything goes according to plan, he will be baptized this coming Saturday...we will see. Pray for him, please!
I miss Chely and I miss the people there. I was able to spend 2 days in our trio - and Sister Spjute is great. I'm excited for this transfer. Being here at the temple just makes me want everyone I am teaching to experience it as well. We are working with a recently reactivated family, the шумилины family (pronounced shoomeelinie) that I am absolutely in love with. We are trying to help them prepare for the temple - money right now is the only real issue. I want them to come here so badly. They will love it. They need it. And their family is so close and they love each other so much, they need to be together forever.
I love the temple. I am so blessed to be here right now. We got here on Friday and I was able to do one session that night and then 2 more on Saturday morning before the temple closed. Sister Dungan and I have been in Finland longer than missionaries usually are because there were some problems getting my passport and VISA. Don't worry, I have it now and we are scheduled to leave tonight. I will get to Ekat early tomorrow morning and then get on a bus and go back to Chely.
The rest of our VISA group went back to Russia right after they did the session on Friday night. So, Sister Dungan and I have been hanging out in Finland. It has been kind of nice have a more relaxed schedule, but I am anxious to get back to work. We have seen so many people that we know from the MTC. A bunch of Elders from the Novosibirsk mission came for a day and Sister Kershisnik and Sister Openshaw - from the Rustov mission (my roommates from the MTC) are now our roommates in the temple hostel. They had some problems with their VISAs as well. So, it's been a fun trip, but I really miss Russia.
Finland really is a cool place though. Everyone here is so friendly and so nice. The other day we were walking along this beautiful path from our hotel (we stayed in a hotel the first night because there wasn't room in the hostel) to the temple and this cross-country skier passed by with this huge grin on his face. It was a beautiful morning and I think he was just happy to be alive. It was kind of startling to see a big smile like that for no reason. People in Russia don't smile like that. Part of that might have to do with the dental hygiene in Russia, or they are just overall pretty unhappy. I love helping them though. I love helping them find a reason to smile. I miss my Russia, but as soon as I am there I'm sure I will miss the fresh clean air, the comfy mattresses, the clean water - AMAZING showers, and of course the temple, that comes with being in Finland.
I'll be back here soon enough though. These VISA trips are kind of a hindrance to the work, so slightly annoying, but it has been nice to just give my body a break. Now that I'm all rested up, I'll go wear myself out again and return in three months. I love being a missionary. This really is the Lord's work and He loves all of His children - the Russian, the Finnish, the Chinese, the American, ALL of His children. We have the restored gospel of Jesus Christ on the earth today, and thanks to that, we are able to understand so much about the nature of God and have a real, personal relationship with Him. We are able to find true, real, lasting happiness. Seeing people come to understand that is the best thing in the world. I heard someone say here that "a missionary is someone who leaves their family for a little while so that other families can be together forever." The sacrifices that come with missionary work, are small and minuscule in the grand scheme of things. They aren't even sacrifices, just blessings.
I love being a missionary and I love teaching people about their Savior...and I miss it. I get to go back today!!!!! Thank you for all of your prayers. You're in mine as well. I love you all so much!
I can't believe I get to spend ETERNITY with the best family in the world.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Love Always,
Sister Hansen
p.s. I can't believe Ashlar is going to Czech on her mission!!!!!!!!!
That is sooooooooo exciting! She is going to be an incredible
missionary.
Monday, March 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment