Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April Showers

Hi everyone,

yes, April is already here and it is still snowing, but the snow is melting and there are muddy puddles everywhere. As I sit here in the Post office (where we occasionally do Internet), I can see the cars splashing mud up onto the snowy banks along the side of the road and I am laughing because in the background I hear some crazy babooshka who has come in and is yelling at the poor postal workers. They are always grumpy so I don't feel toooo bad for them. Haha I love Russia with all my heart.

As for this past week, not much new happened. We taught, walked, ran, baked, cleaned, laughed, prayed, studied, and taught some more. But...not much new. It was all rather amazing, nevertheless. We have some new missionaries in our zone and Sister Hakes and Sister Spjute
went home last week (look them up...I want to live with them - but we don't have housing for fall - someone wanna look into that?) thanks.

We also found out that we will be watching conference this next weekend!!!!!! Yay!!!! I'm so excited!!!!!! We committed a member in our area to come and pray about our living prophet. He believes Joseph Smith was a prophet but has concerns regarding the prophets right now. Hopefully he comes with an open heart to get an answer.

Do you think you could help me with a question I was asked this week? I understand it, but it would be nice to have quotes from general authorities or something to help prove my point. The question is regarding the Law of Tithing and what is written in Doctrine and Covenants 119 (specifically concerning the words 'interest' and 'surplus'). The Gospel Principles says that the first presidency understands that as 'salary', but that wasn't good enough for this person - he didn't want how they understood it, but what God said - because it says the law in 119 is eternal. If you find any concrete places where the Lord/prophet says 10% of your salary (he knows how Abraham paid 10% of all he had, etc...but he wants something that says 'salary'.), could you send those to me in your next week's email?

That would really help A LOT. It was a very interesting meeting. It is sad how sometimes we hold on to the smallest things because we don't really want to live the commandments - we find any excuse possible. Whether that be mistakes of other people and we get offended, or mistakes in the translation of the scriptures, or modern day views on ancient laws, or anything really, I've heard it all. But it all comes down to our pride and laziness - that is the only thing that keeps us from keeping the commandments and obtaining all the available blessings from God. We almost keep all the commandments and we will almost receive salvation. I know President Monson is a prophet of God. And I know obedience is the first law of heaven.

We unfortunately didn't meet with Sergei and Vladimir this past week - we talked to them every day, but they were WAY too packed with work. Came to church though. :) Anyway, our other investigators are all slowly but surely progressing little by little, and hopefully we will be able to help them speed that progression up. Please pray for Dima. He has a baptism date for April 23rd and he needs all the help he can get. I love you all so much and I hope you have a great week!

xoxoxoxoxoxxoxo
love always,
Sister Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment