So...it sounds like you are all doing great. Oh my goodness, hearing about Guatemala tugs at my heart strings a little bit. I hope you are all getting a long and having so much fun. It sounds like you are having a blast, despite the mud and the mosquitoes. I can't wait to go to church out in the jungle! Oh my goodness, the gospel just rolls forth doesn't it?! I love hearing about the lessons you are having and the people coming to listen. You are all so amazing! Keep up the good work. I'm so proud!!!!!!!!!
My week was pretty good...very stressful, but good. (Side note: I don't know if I mentioned before, but at the beginning of the transfer, my zone made a goal to have a baptism by the 17th of July. We set the date and planned to do all we could to get someone to be baptized on that day...just so you know) Anyway, our week started out with a bang. We met with our investigator Timor/Timur (I don't know how to spell it in English) on Monday night and we set a baptismal date for Saturday! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT! Miracles happen. He was really excited and already lived the word of wisdom, law of chastity, etc. So, there was no need to wait. We started planning and met with him again on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Everything was going great. He had an interview and was ready and willing to get baptized.
On Thursday, he DID mention that he MIGHT have to work on Saturday, but that he would call us on Friday to tell us if he was able to get it off. Well, Friday came and went, with no phone call. We called him a few times, but he didn't answer. So, we went ahead as planned.
On Saturday, however, we still couldn't get a hold of him. He wouldn't answer his phone all day, and we didn't know his address because we always just met with him at the church or at other member's houses. We didn't know what to do, so all the preparations were made and we waited and prayed that he would show up. He didn't come after all, but we still had a great meeting. The Spirit was so strong. I was so sad that he didn't come, but I know that he will get baptized someday soon and the investigators who came had an opportunity to feel the Spirit and learn a little more about the importance of baptism.
It really was so stressful, but at the end of the week, when I could barely hold myself together anymore, I was comforted by the Lord. I know that the Lord is mindful of me. He heard my prayers, and even though he couldn't MAKE Timur come, He DID bless us all with His Spirit and His love. I am so grateful for the covenants I have made with Him and the trust we have in each other. Baptism really is an essential ordinance. It is essential to receive salvation. It is the first of many steps to the kingdom of God. The Lord has called me here to Russia to help the people here make that first step and then continue on the path to exaltation. I love my calling!
So, that's the biggest news from this week. Oh, we FINALLY got a hold of Anastasia! She had "escaped to the village!" Everyone here has a summer home/shack in the little villages that are outside of the city. They all go and work in their gardens all summer long/on the weekends. It makes church attendance suffer and makes it hard to meet with people. I can't judge them too harshly though. They live in little boxes, with just a window sill....the garden would be nice. But still, come back for church. President Allcott, when he went around to all the District Conferences, promised them all that if they will come to church on Sunday, the Lord would make their gardens prosper. Gee, that sounds good to me! Sadly, there were some who didn't get the message because they were in the village.
For the last week of the transfer, Sister Jensen and I decided to SERVE like crazy. Instead of going out and spending hours on the street contacting (not very effective), we decided to use our hours serving the members and our investigators. Example: on Tuesday, we had some free time, so we called all of the babushki who live in our area to see if we could drop by to help them, and none of them were home...where do they go?! They can barely move! Anyway, we were determined to serve...so finally we called up the District President's wife. She just had a baby not too long ago, so we figured she could use some help. She was adamant that she can do everything herself, but because we were so persistent, of course she let us come over. We showed up in pants and t-shirts, so she had no choice but to give us a job to do. We scrubbed her windows. It was so fun to just talk to her and goo at her baby while we scrubbed. Before we left, she got teary-eyed and said, "I don't know why you came today, but I really needed you." She said that she had been having a hard time with her 8 year old, and because of her new baby, she doesn't get to leave the house that often. She said that she needed that escape, that adult conversation. I was so grateful that the Lord was able to use us to answer her prayers. We were just trying to serve, and the Lord led us right to the one who needed us the most that day. I love seeing the miracles in missionary work.
It was a great last week together...yes, Sister Jensen is getting transferred. I'm going to miss her so much! I absolutely love her! But, I am also really excited for this next transfer....I'm going to serve with Sister Mezinets again!!!!!!!!! Her, and Sister Hanks are coming to Ufa! We will be in a trio. Sister Hanks is from Paul (I think) She went to Minico...crazy! Anyway, I'm excited. They get here on Thursday. It will be great! Sister Jensen is going to Ekaterinburg, to my first area. Her and Sister Mezinets just switched places. It's gonna be another incredible transfer. I'm so glad I get to be here in Ufa again, there is so much I still need to do here! I love being a missionary!
I hope you all have an incredible week! for those of you in Guatemala, did I understand correctly?...you are leaving next friday? Why such a short trip? Be safe! I love you all so much! I truly do have the best family ever. I'm soooooooooooooo blessed! You are all such good examples to me and you make me want to be better. I love you!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
love always,
Sister Hansen
Sister Hansen, as always we love your posts. Your mission is amazing as are you. Love, Aunt Linda & Uncle Rod
ReplyDeleteSister Hansen, we love your posts. Continue blessing the lives of our brothers & sisters in Russia. Your mission blesses us. Love, Aunt Linda & Uncle Rod
ReplyDelete