Monday, January 11, 2010

Love, From Russia

Hey everyone!

How's it going?! This week has been great. It's a little hard because I now have 2 companions, but we are making it work. My new companion Sister Maynard is with us until her companion gets better, but she will probably end up going home, so I'm thinking Sister Maynard will be with us until the end of the transfer.

I feel like don't know any Russian still, but I am understanding more and more each day. I take my little dictionary with me everywhere, and that has helped numerous times with the commucation barrier - even between me and Sister Mezinets (although she knows a lot of English - and this week we had to set a goal for her to not speak so much english to me...but it's hard because Sister Maynard really struggles with the language, so I end up speaking english a lot so she can understand). Anyway, it will come. In a way, not knowing the language very well is a blessing...This week we did a lot of contacting because it was the Russian Christmas, so not very many people wanted to meet with us...and when we contact a lot of people aren't very receptive, but I don't understand the mean things they say to us. :) Not knowing the language very well also often helps us recruit people to English club. So, I'm working on it, and I am staying positive about it.

This week we met with some part-member families. One of the families had us over for dinner, and the father, Dimitri is so great and he comes to church just about every week, and he participates in the lessons...but apparently he doesn't believe in God. I don't understand it. This week hopefully we will get to the bottom of it.

We also met with Valyerie again and he is having a hard time giving up his alcohol, but he wants to be baptized so we will keep working with him. The other day we went through our Area Book and called EVERYONE!

One man, was an old investigator, Anatoli, and he was interested in meeting with us. So, we went over that night. We had a good discussion - he doesn't believe in God, because he believes in Science and Darwin's theory and he said if we came from monkeys, how could we come from God - it was hard for me to communicate all that I wanted to in Russian, but he knows a little english so it worked out ok. I think he uses the science stuff as an excuse. I think it really comes down to the fact that when he was meeting with the missionaries before, he prayed and didn't get an answer. We have another appointment with him this week so I'll keep you updated on how that goes.

I got to go out to a little village out in the middle of nowhere, which was fun, we went because the elders needed sisters to teach - it was a family of only women. That was fun, and the family was great, we talked about the importance of church attendance (they are members but inactive), and they seemed really committed. We will see how that goes. I kind of hope we get to go back there sometime. Also, I really want a picture of them - the grandmother was sooooooo cute and soooooo tiny.

Anyway, nothing too exciting this week, but it was good - I'm hoping that this next week we will be able to schedule more meetings (contacting doesn't work with three people). I absolutely love being a missionary. I love the Russian language, I love Russian people, and I love this gospel. I know that the message I am sharing with people is true down to the core of my soul. Having a knowledge of my Savior and His restored gospel has blessed me so much in my life, I want everyone here to know about it, and therefore, I will continue to work my hardest. I love you all so much! Thank you for everything - your support, your love, and your prayers. Have a great week!
xoxoxoxoxo
love always,
Sister Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment