To my wonderful family,
I have been in the MTC for 2 weeks! Wow! Here at the MTC, time does not make sense. It hardly exists at all. The days seem like weeks and the weeks seem like days. Russian is coming along slowly but surely. I still feel like I don't know anything, but then I think back and I really have learned so much. Now I can pray, testify, teach some of lesson 1, stop people and ask them a few questions, and make an appointment to meet with them again...all in Russian! All of that takes a while, but it is coming along. My companion has been so helpful.
Last week we had some Russian and Ukranian missionaries come to the MTC. They hardly speak any English but they are so eager to help us learn Russian! They are so sweet. There are 5 sisters and 5 elders. Just about our entire branch went to the temple with them this morning. For most of them, it was their first time. It was so special to be able to hug each of the sisters as they came into the Celestial Room. If all of the Russians are like the ones here, I really am in for the time of my life!
I love being a missionary and I can't wait to get out into the field! But I really do love the MTC. The Spirit here is almost overwhelming. I am just filled to the brim.
This past week we went to the Referral Center for the first time. My companion and I were terrified, but as a companionship, we prayed right before we went in, and that definitely helped calm the nerves. No one answered the phone for any of the Elders in my district and my companion got in touch with 2 people who didn't have time to talk. I, on the other hand, had a crazy experience. I called a woman in North Carolina, but she wasn't there, instead I talked to a woman who had just moved into that apartment (I guess the other woman left her phone or something. ?). This woman, Marie, LOVED to talk! At first, the conversation was going really well I suppose. I talked to her about the church and the restoration and I was able to testify numerous times. She is a good Christian woman and she had a lot of questions, but she didn't want to meet with the missionaries (I invited her to, like 4 times). So instead, she just went into incredible detail ALL about her life & her family & her neighbors & her friends & her preacher & anything else you can imagine. I am telling you, she was spilling EVERYTHING, from near-death experiences, to crime in her city, to the family feud over the family Bible. haha I tried to tie everything she said back to the gospel and the church, but she would just ignore me and keep talking. I think she was lonely and I was listening, so she just kept going. Because she didn't want to meet with the missionaries, I tried and tried to get off the phone, but she wouldn't have it. She would ask me a question about the church so I would stay on longer. haha I talked to her for 45 minutes! (I don't think we are supposed to do that in the RC, but I didn't know what else to do). The amazing thing is, after 45 minutes, she was willing to meet with the missionaries. Yay Marie! So, it turned out ok in the end. I kinda feel bad for those missionaries...they won't ever be able to leave! That was definitely the most eventful thing that happened to me this week!
It sounds like you all had an exciting week as well! Thank you all so much for the letters! (I figured out how to print off the emails & not lose too much of my computer time - so mom, you don't need to mail those...but reading them on my P-day, leaves me less time to write) So, maybe send them, via dearelder or mail before tuesday, if not, that's ok...just be patient with my responses). My district leader passes out the mail every day after lunch and getting your letters just makes my day so much better! Thank you so much for your support! I am going to try to write you all letters soon...but the P-day is going by REALLY fast. If you don't get one this week...hope for one next! I still need my sisters' addresses - send those soon! I don't have enough time online to write all that I want to say in an email, so, just know that I love you and I miss you!!!!!!! The Church really is true. Jesus is the Christ. And the Book of Mormon is the word of
God. I know that without a doubt. I love being a missionary and I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!
xoxoxo
love always,
Sister Hansen
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
HI Jody,
ReplyDeleteDo you have Brianna's MTC Box number and anticipated departure date so we can write to her on Dear Elder? Michelle